Relax, You're Not Alone

By Guest Blogger Brenda

What ingredients does your family avoid? Milk, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Soy, Wheat, Food Coloring and Meat.

How did you first learn about your family's allergies? Breastfeeding my son when he was a newborn. He had hives & rashes constantly. The dr called it "baby acne" but this was WAY worse than any baby acne I had ever seen. I did my research and started eliminating foods from my diet. Within 3 days of elimination, his skin was dramatically better and he was much happier.

What's the worst part of having food allergies in your family? Oh dear. Where do I start... Going out to eat is nearly impossible. We have to bring our food everywhere we go. Label reading is a constant. Getting them to eat period is hard as the allergies are mounting. For us, food allergies has lead to many unexpected joys.

Can you share one positive thing that you've learned or somthing good that's happened because of food allergies? Lots of joys- they have super healthy diets. They only get good organic food with minimal or no processing. I love cooking nutritious, wholesome food that they like.

If you could travel back in time, to when you first learned about your child's food allergies, what advice would you give yourself? Relax- I am not alone. They will be fine!

Do you have any additional comments or questions you'd like to see posted? Please post kid friendly recipes that you have success with.

Note from Tiffany ~ Wow, reading how you discovered your son's food allergies is very similar to my own experience. I was told I was overreacting when I called the doctor about my son's skin rash on his face. When I took my son into the pediatricians office, they told me it was "bad baby acne", and suggested I use Oxy-Wipes or alcohol. They said it would eventually go away. I looked online, and found a description similar to his condition, linked to an article about milk allergies. When I stopped drinking milk, his rash went away within a few days. On our next "well visit" I mentioned how the rash cleared up when I stopped drinking milk, the doctor called it a coincidence. When my son was 5 months old, we gave him yogurt for the first time, and he broke out in hives all over his body. It's no coincidence we changed pediatricians.

Thank you to Brenda for sharing her story. I love her advice to relax and be confident that we're not alone. If you'd like to share your story, click here.